Lady Geeks at Comikaze Expo 2011
Comikaze ExpoÂ came and went–it was a whirlwind of a weekend for our lady geeks. It was the first time that all of the Los Angeles based Defective Geeks went together as a team toÂ rigorouslyÂ cover an event. For two days, the Space Pirate Queen, Gizzy B, Fortune Cookie and Sailor Mizz ran about the convention floor to try and see as much as we can.
Comikaze was a definite success with 40,000 attendees, big guest stars and a constantly crowded exhibit hall. We did a million interviews and took a million photos. We will slowly but surely post video interviews as we get them together so stand by for some awesome content! A special shout out and thank you to the boys– Nick, Joaquin and Steve– from Red Sheep Productions for volunteering as our film crew for the entire weekend.
For now, read each of our TOP FIVE highlights from the convention!
Space Pirate Queen
1) Meeting Kelly (aka Liam Sullivan) again and I got to tell her how much her videos hold a special place in my heart because Lisa introduced me to them. Our interview with her is going to be fabulous. Wait for it!
2) Watching the All That reunion cast members break into a dance while singing the All That television theme song. I think it stirred our inner Nickelodeon childhoods a bit. Lisa Foiles and Alisa Reyes were also both super nice in person!
3) There was a very strong female geek presence at this convention despite having it be a general pop culture event. It was very cool to see businesswomen on the exhibit hall floor selling their merchandise and panels that had prominent female leads.
4) Discovering a table full of X-Files merchandise from a woman who was selling her personal collection. This happened during the last half hour of the convention on the last day. It was literally an X-Files Christmas. It was X-Mas (see what we did there?). I bought things and got free things. It was kind of amazing.
5) Watching Sailor Mizz and Gizzy B hone their interview skills in front of the cameras. These girls, plus Fortune Cookie, worked so hard all weekend! I can’t wait to see all of our videos.
1). My top moment was the two people cosplaying the velociraptor and Robert Muldoon from Jurassic Park, and seeing the velociraptor chasing Robert Muldoon while he drove a mini-jeep in the Exhibit Hall. That is the most clever and awesome thing I have ever seen. I thought I died and went to nerd heaven.
2). One of the exhibitors was giving me a hard sell on a Wolverine cardboard cutout. His best and most convincing argument was that if I bought it, Wolverine could guard me while I sleep and then accidentally tear my clothes off with his adamantium claws. How could I argue with such logic? It was a very tough call.
3). Sailor Mizz and I had the pleasure of chatting with Tippi Hedren, who is the sweetest and classiest person I have ever met. On top of being a talented actor, she founded the Shambala Preserve, which is a sanctuary for exotic animals. Sailor Mizz and I plan on taking a trip to the Preserve :)
4). The intimate atmosphere. I’m used to larger and more chaotic conventions, so it was refreshing to go to a convention that had all of my different interests, but was still small enough so that I had a chance to check out all of the exhibitors and panels that intrigued me. Everybody was happy to be there, so it made the experience a very positive one.
5). I finally got to meet two of my favorite betches of all time: Elvira and Kelly (SHOES). Elvira, who has somehow not aged at all, was a charming devil and happily autographed a picture for my uncle, and Kelly is absolutely hilarious. These are two betches that I think all girls should aspire to be.
1) The velociraptor and Robert Muldoon cosplayers! The velociraptor molded the head herself and really got the movements down and the detailing on the jeep was amazing! I love how they even had the t-rex visible in the rear view mirror of the mini-jeep and had the theme song play. They were sweet and creative with extreme attention to detail and it was glorious.
2) The voice actor was a great way to start off my Sunday. There were many great laughs and -on thee more serious side- a look into the inner workings of the industry. Stephanie Sheh was among the panelists and recognized us from when I did the phone interview. It was awesome to be able to chat with and thank her in person. She is super sweet.
3) The All That Reunion Panel! Everyone had so much positive energy and it was great to hear the backstage stories of the members of all the different cast generations. You can really feel the love for the show from both the cast and the fans.
3) Running around and finding friends around the con! Some were fellow attendees and others were exhibitors or artists on the floor. I got so many POVs about the 1st time con.
4) Hanging out with Steamcrow. They are very friendly and talented and their son is so adorable and has the chops for becoming a great dancer.
5) Getting to see all the different cosplayers of all sorts! I have a spot especially for the children because they’re all adorable.
1) First off, really enjoyed going around with all our Lady Geeks and the help of Red Sheep Productions, and filming and interviewing people about their geeky passions. That was probably the most rewarding part of the con and now we get compile the information and share their passions with the rest of you.
2) Meeting Team Unicorn for the first time was so much fun. After I interviewed them, I realized, not only are they all beautiful, but they have the same nerdy personality as me– especially Clare Grant. I love the funny comment they made in response to my “only virgins can see unicorns” story, “You can see US?!”
3) I discovered a booth that sold all the dessert jewelry and it was joy in more words then I could describe. It combined all my favorite things: glitter and food. I had to buy one and settled on a cute strawberry tart necklace.
4) I agree with Gizzy B– getting to talk to Tippi Hedren and being invited to visit Shambala Preserve. She is an amazing, sweet and talented actress and I can’t wait to talk to her more. Plus, I can’t wait to cuddle with all the lions at her preserve. Defective Geeks Field Trip! :D
5) I liked going to the panels that focused on marketing, writing, creating your own geeky films and developing your blog/web-show/product. Having those kind of panels was a good learning experience in addition to the panels that talk about your favorite comic or movie.