Lillian Diaz-Przybyl is one of the co-founders of Sparkler Magazine, which is a project that I am currently pretty excited about. They have an amazing collection of talents, graphic novels, written fiction and audio dramas under their belt — and all of it need a lot of more love from more readers. Check out our interview with Lillian below and she will tell you all about Sparkler, the work behind it and what’s in store in the future for this unique online publication.
Tell us about Sparkler Magazine’s superhero origin story. Who are the creators? Where did the idea come from and how did it become a reality?
So basically in the mid-90s, all of us got hit by the Anime Bug, and were turned into rabid otaku—I mean. Uh. Actually, that’s kind of what happened… Three out of the four of us founders were Sailor Moon junkies in one way or the other, and after I graduated with a double-degree in nerdery (read: Japanese & English, with a side of running my college’s anime society) I wound up working at TOKYOPOP for several years, where I got to know Lianne as a freelancer (actually, she applied for the same staff job I did—no hard feelings!) and a friend. Lianne and Becca have been friends since middle school, a time during which Lianne describes herself as the local anime pusher, and Jill’s a proud otome gamer and has a real job in the finance industry. We’re lucky to have found her!
- INTERVIEW: Kathryn Robson Receives Emmy Nomination for Documentary, CIRCUS OF BOOKS
- INTERVIEW: Jessica Huras’ New Bi-Visibility Short Film, Bing! Bang! Bi!
- INTERVIEW: Mystery Thriller Film, PADMAVYUHA With Director Raj Krishna Explores Complex History of Hinduism
- INTERVIEW: Young Actor Carina Battrick Stars in Viggo Mortensen’s FALLING
- INTERVIEW: Leanne Noelle Smith Talks About FAK YAASS and Her Journey into Acting
- INTERVIEW: Nadia George Stars in a Compelling Short Film ‘Along the Water’s Edge’
- INTERVIEW: Avocado Toast the Series, a New Sex Comedy Web Show for Millennials
- INTERVIEW: Francis Luta’s New Intense Documentary, ALONE ACROSS THE ARTIC with Adam Shoalts
- INTERVIEW: Sam Coyle and Erin Carter Explore Mental Health in Their Film, HAZY LITTLE THING
- INTERVIEW: Helena Marie Stars In New TV Show, MY PERFECT LANDING
- INTERVIEW: Tina Jung Plays A Young Immigrant In QUEEN OF THE MORNING CALM
- INTERVIEW: Kate Drummond Talks Getting Into the Heart of a Villain in UTOPIA FALLS
- INTERVIEW: Jeff Teravainen Talks UTOPIA FALLS, Acting and Music
- INTERVIEW: Praneet Akilla On His First Major Role In Netflix’s OCTOBER FACTION
- INTERVIEW: Hallea Jones as the Queen Bee in Netflix’s LOCKE & KEY